Friday, June 13, 2014

The Sorority Stereotype

I guess this is something that bugs me the most about the world. Stereotypes. The assumption that you know anything about someone because of what group they belong to or what they look like. Something that hits home for me is the "Sorority Girl" Stereotype.

I am a member of Chi Omega. Let me guess, most of you now assume I am a skinny, white girl with long blonde hair. I'm a PR major right? Daddy buys me whatever I want? (because of course I'm rich) I'm spoiled? I party too much will never do anything with my life other than win Miss America or marry rich? Most people I know who are not in a sorority assume that we all joined for one of two reasons, 1. to have a reason to party all the time or 2. sit around and bitch with a bunch of girls. While I won't deny that we party and we sit around and bitch, that is NOT the reason most of us joined a sorority.

When I was in high school I was kind of a loner. I didn't have many friends. I laid low, paid my dues and got out the first chance I got. When I got to college I had no plans to change how I was, but when my roommate told me that she was going to participate in Panhellenic Recruitment I was kind of curious and decided to go along with her. After my first two days I never looked back. I never realized what I was missing. Not the parties, not the shopping, not the hair/nail doing while pigging out watching Disney movies. SISTERS, that's what I was missing in life. A group of wonderful girls who I know always have my back and will always be there for me to cry on their shoulders.

Sure, being in a sorority I have learned how to craft with my eyes closed, how to play "Slap the Bag", how to jump up, dance on a table and have a great time. BUT in my 3 years Chi Omega has also taught me that I am more than a white girl that goes out and parties. I am more than getting drunk on a Friday night. I am more than my pretty hair and tan skin. I am more than any stereotype you can throw at me AND will be much more in life than my husband's wife.

I am a student. I am a philanthropist. I am a Christian. I am a daughter. I am brain. I can do anything and be anything with the confidence given to me by my sisters.

I am a Chi Omega sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment